Sunday, February 10, 2013

Something Old, Inspired To Be New



I love a well done roast chicken. My favorite way is perhaps the most classic; lemon, garlic, thyme, rosemary, oregano - but hey - if it isnt broke, why fix it? Well, today... I decided, why not try roasting it a new way? My inspiration? Turkey. My favorite way to cook turkey, is to stuff it with onions, carrots and celery - then roast it upside-down, covering it in a butter bath with poultry herbs/seasonings (fresh if I can get them). Roasting the turkey upside-down almost always guarantees juicy breast meat (which is the best part). The natural under-belly fats and gravity help draw the juices down into the breast and when the bird is almost done, I turn up the heat, flip it over and roast it until the outside skin is crispy. Ah, glorious every time! So, I took the same principle and decided to do it with chicken, but with a twist! I took the bird, rinsed him/her with cold water, emptied the cavity, and filled the little guy with cilantro, carrots and onions. Then I took some chili oil, salt, garlic, pepper, oregano, parsley and rubbed it down. I roasted the chicken for about two and a half hours at 375-F...







Oh, this bird... is perhaps my new favorite way to eat roasted chicken! Its so juicy and tender and has this little kick from the chili oil and a zip of tang from the cilantro.... I am so happy and delighted at how well it turned out. I will definitely be doing this again!

My plans for the little bird are to make a teriyaki blend and then mix with shredded chicken; wrap the mixture in nappa cabbage, and steam in a crock-pot over rice for a healthy and flavor-punched dinner tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment